Wildcat fans said goodbye to senior standout Sam Thomas after the team’s early exit from the NCAA Tournament in March. They lost in the second round before a home crowd against North Carolina. The Wildcats finished the season 21-8 overall and 10-6 in conference play to earn a No. 4 seed in the tournament. This gave the Wildcats the opportunity to play home games in the first two rounds for the first time since head coach Adia Barnes’ senior year in 1998. Arizona Women’s Basketball averaged home crowds of 7,822 on the season, which ranked first in the Pac-12 and sixth nationally.
On the year, three Wildcats earned All-Pac-12 recognition. Reese was named to the All-Pac-12 team, Thomas was named Honorable Mention All-Pac-12 and to the Pac-12 All-Defense Team, and Helena Pueyo was named Honorable Mention All-Defense.
Adia Barnes became the first coach in program history to win 20 or more games in four consecutive seasons and became the second winningest coach in program history. In March, she was named a court coach for the USA Basketball Women’s National Team Spring Training Camp. Barnes is no stranger to the international coaching game, as she was an assistant coach on Dawn Staley’s staff when the national team won the 2021 AmeriCup in Puerto Rico.
• The program’s first two-time first team Academic All-American honoree
• 2021 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year
• Winner of the Elite 90 Award at the 2021 Final Four
• Pac-12 All-Academic team honoree since her sophomore season
• 2022 Honorable Mention All-Pac-12 and to the Pac-12 All-Defense Team
• In 2022, Thomas shot a career-high 42.5% from three, which was third-best in the Pac-12 and the third-best single-season percentage in school history.
• UArizona career leader in games started and played
• At UArizona: 10th all-time in scoring, third in made threes, fourth in three-point percentage, second in blocks and fourth in steals.
• 2022 Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American
• All-Pac-12 for the third season in a row
• Seventh in UArizona history in career scoring and fourth in total rebounds
• In 2022, led the Wildcats in scoring and rebounding, averaging 14.6 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.