Tanzania Safari and Rwanda Gorilla Trekking
This trip has been cancelled due to low enrollment. Venture out on safari in search of the “big five”— rhino, lion, leopard, elephant, and Cape buffalo. Explore the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania’s Great Rift Valley and the spectacular northern Serengeti, teeming with wildlife near the Mara River. You will tour the bustling boulevards of Kigali, the capital of Rwanda, and visit the Kigali Memorial Centre, honoring those who perished in 1994. Trek in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park, nestled along the slopes of the volcanoes that form the Virunga Mountains, where Dian Fossey once worked, to observe gorilla families at close range. Spend a day trekking after these fascinating creatures through the misty Rwandan forest.
- Arusha, Tanzania
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area and afternoon safari
- Morning Ngorongoro Crater safari and afternoon at leisure
- Three days at Serengeti National Park and daily safaris
- Kigali, Rwanda and visit to Kigali Memorial Centre
- Volcanoes National Park and morning gorilla tracking
- Optional second gorilla tracking or Dian Fossey Memorial hike. (additional cost)
- Rwandan village visit and traditional Rwandan dance performance
- Golden monkey tracking
- Kigali for departure
- Two study leaders, a husband and wife team, both from the University of Arizona—Dieter Steklis, Anthropology Professor and Program Director, and Netzin Steklis, lecturer for Animal & Comparative Biomedical Sciences and Family Studies and Human Development.
View/Print Brochure (PDF)