Highlights of 120 Years of the UA Alumni Association

1897      

  • The University of Arizona Alumni Association was organized and its first constitution adopted on June 2, 1897. Eleven graduates were declared members. All faculty were named honorary members. 

1914      

  • The first Homecoming was held on Thanksgiving Day.

1923      

  • The Alumni Association adopted a new constitution on May 29. Dues were $10 for life membership.
  • The first issue of Arizona Alumnus was published, dated Nov. 15, 1923.

1924      

  • The Alumni Association expanded with development of alumni clubs throughout Arizona and in major U.S. cities. The first out-of-state club was organized in Southern California.

1927-28               

  • The Alumni Association took on its first fundraising project for a new football stadium and athletic facilities. The new stadium was dedicated on Oct. 12, 1929.

1934      

  • The Alumni Association conducted its first scholarship fund drive, raising $350.

1942                

  • The Alumnus magazine was sent free to alumni in the Armed Forces.

1947      

  • The first Homecoming queen, Ruth Tackett, was crowned at the University's 30th Homecoming on Nov. 22.

1956      

  • An alumni fund drive was initiated in the fall of 1956. The money collected was to be used for scholarships, the research general fund, and the operation of the Alumni Association. 

1958      

  • Marvin D. "Swede" Johnson '50 became the director of the Alumni Association and served until he was named a University vice president.

1965      

  • The Phoenix Office of the Alumni Association opened. 

1972                  

  • The Alumni Travel Program was launched.

1983      

  • Hispanic and Black Alumni organizations were established.
  • The Alumni Association was actively involved in student recruitment and held the first student recruitment seminar.

1985      

  • The Tents on the Mall tradition at Homecoming began with 12 organizations participating.
  • Arizona Alumni Forum, a monthly television program produced by the Alumni Association, aired in Tucson, Phoenix and Yuma. 

1986      

  • The circulation of Arizona Alumnus exceeded 100,000 for the first time.
  • UA Homecoming was featured on the "Geraldo!" television program.

1987

  • Bobcats became a coeducational honorary by naming its first female members.

1988                    

  • The Alumni Association moved to the new Foundation/Alumni building on Speedway and Cherry. 

1990      

  • The Collegiate License Plate scholarship program started.

2000      

  • UA alumni numbered more than 200,000. 

2005      

  • The dues-paying membership program was launched in the September Arizona Alumnus magazine.

2010      

  • Melinda Burke became president and executive director.

2011               

  • The Student Alumni Association changed its name to Student Alumni Ambassadors (SAA) and grew their membership to more than 300 students becoming the largest student group on campus.

2012      

  • UA alumni numbered more than 260,000.

2013      

  • The Alumni Association launched an international ambassadors program.

2014

  • The Alumni Association celebrated the 100th anniversary of Homecoming.
  • The first mobile app for Arizona alumni was launched.

2015

  • The Cats Give Back crowdfunding campaign raised more than $70,000 for scholarships.

2016

  • UA alumni numbered more than 275,000.